Pack Properly to Save Time and Money
You did your research, planned ahead and found the perfect storage unit minutes from your home for a great deal. You politely asked your friends for help in moving your stuff from your home to the self storage facility and everyone is ready for the big day. There is one more thing though. Do you know how to pack your storage unit properly? If you properly pack your storage unit not only will you be able to find your belongings quicker in the future but you will probably save some money in the process.
You’ve probably seen it before, either in person or on the popular “Storage Wars” TV show where a storage unit is packed tightly from floor to ceiling. It is nearly impossible to get into the storage unit without dragging everything out and making a mess in the hallway. To minimize the mess and clutter in your storage unit you should follow these simple steps:
- Use sturdy boxes and fill the boxes to capacity. Using sturdy boxes will decrease the potential of your boxes breaking and crushing your belongings.
- Distribute weight in the boxes evenly. Just because you are filling your boxes to capacity doesn’t mean you should throw your book collection in one box while putting blankets in the other. Make sure you can lift all of the boxes without help.
- You should stack all of your items by weight so your heavier items are on the bottom. Packing books on top of antique glass is a good way to be sure you won’t have antiques any longer.
- Place the items you will access frequently towards the front of the storage unit so you can easily grab them without moving 2 couches and 4 chairs to get to them.
- Avoid paying high monthly rent by renting only the unit size which you need. Often times, storage auctions occur because individuals purchase a unit which is too large and then default on monthly payments. If this means throwing away some of your more useless items or keeping some of your more valuable possessions at home, so be it. It is better to de-clutter and pack properly than to lose your stuff completely.
These packing and de-cluttering tips should have you saving money on your next storage unit. Remember, SelfStorageFinders.com lists thousands of self storage facilities from Los Angeles self storage to New York storage units and everything in between.